Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The art of brewing coffee


A good cup of coffee can be hard to find sometimes. We all have our preferences, such as flavors, brand, whole bean or grind, light or dark roast, decaf or not, etc.. There are many varieties and ways you can make the perfect cup of coffee that is to your own liking. It truly is an art. Now I am no expert but I will share with you how I brew my perfect cup. 

First, choose the right brand of coffee. I really enjoy the Starbucks breakfast blend so I usually drink that in the mornings. It's got a medium flavor, not too heavy not too light, with a good finish. 

Second, I make sure that I get whole bean. I used to get the already ground stuff but that was in the past. Taking the extra minute to grind your own coffee produces a much fresher and cleaner flavor. If you don't own a grinder you can find one just about anywhere for like 20 bucks. 

Third, after I have put my grinds into the filter, in which I have no preference, I make sure to use ice cold water. The colder the water the better for some reason. If you have bottled watered or purified water it's even better, but I don't go that far. By the way I go the standard two tablespoons for every 6 ounces of water, and yes I measure everything.. I just hate screwing it up. 

Four, after the coffee is made I always use liquid creamer (no flavor) and a spoon of sugar. I know I'm a wuss right for not drinking it black, but black is boring. Then I will take a flavored syrup and add a little of that if I want. I use the sugar free stuff to cut back  a little bit. 

Fifth, when I'm done I store my coffee in an airtight container. Don't freeze your coffee, it will not last longer or stay fresh that way. I know some people say to do it but trust me unless you want jacked up coffee. 

This is my art of brewing the perfect cup of coffee. What is yours? 

3 comments:

davey said...

you hit on alot of tips i learned the hard way.

the only other thing i'd add is use fresher coffee beans (and no starbucks doesn't count).

As an example, try some beans from http://www.coffeefool.com/ - but be warned, you may not want to go back to the old stuff :)

Jordan Hanger said...

Thanks for the tip friend. Is that what you use?

Micah Andrew Hasty said...

I'm doing this tomorrow.